Happy Fall!! My idea of the perfect fall day is enjoying the cooler weather and the beautiful changing of the leaves while sipping something warm to drink as I breathe in the crisp air! Fall seems to be a time for rejuvenation in my personal opinion. Trees and plants go into a rest mode to prepare for winter and everything seems to slow down and reserve energy. I am going through the same kind of rejuvenation in my own life right now with my transformation into a new healthy lifestyle.
Goals, goals and more goals
I am a life coach so you shouldn’t be surprised that my whole life is comprised of goals, lists and priorities! Living without my lists and goals is like trying to live without oxygen, it just isn’t possible for me!
I have a quite a few goals for the next few months:
- Run/walk at least one 5K before the year is out – My husband is a runner and I used to be a spectator and never a willing participant but this year I want to participate willingly and earn the right to say I am a 5K-er!!
- Clean out my coupon stockpile and donate the food items we won’t be eating to our local food pantry or food drive because we won’t be eating pasta, condiments with high fructose corn syrup, fruit juices or breakfast cereals anymore!
- Share some of my newly developed Ketogenic Recipes – I’ve been trying brand new foods and creating new recipes to share since this is our new way of eating for the rest of our lives. I love to cook and eating Ketogenic cuisine promotes trying new ingredients to add variety! I tried Spaghetti Squash this past week and it wasn’t bad at all!
- Share my newly discovered passion for ASMR YouTube Videos – ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. I discovered this video last night and it was ultra relaxing! ASMR isn’t for everyone but I certainly LOVE it! I have spent most of my life living in a high stress state, my hypertension is proof of that so I am reducing the stressors in my life and finding more ways to relax and slow down.
- Clean and reorganize my entire kitchen instead of complaining about it to my husband every morning! My tiny kitchen is so limited on space and we are clearly not utilizing every inch of space to it’s full potential! I always tell people that complaining about the problem is contributing to it so I am going to seek a solution instead.
- To incorporate more time for meditation each day with positive affirmations, especially before I fall asleep – I will be sharing more about all of this in future posts. There is so much power in our thoughts and the images we see each day affect what we think and feel. I have ultra vivid dreams and nightmares when I watch American Horror Story right before going to bed! Have you seen Season 4 – Freak Show yet? That clown freaks me out! WARNING – This video is NOT suitable for audiences under 18!!
- To work my way up from being lightly active to moderately active by increasing to daily 45 minute walks (about 2 miles) and 3 additional workouts a week of either HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training – think CrossFit type stuff) or Weight/Strength Training with my 3 lb dumbbells and/or my own body weight. I am still loving my phone apps that make doing it so much easier! I will be sharing those very soon!
- To vlog about how I equate weight loss with couponing and you’re probably going to laugh because I always do! I admit that I am quirky and I don’t apologize for it!
- To share all that I am learning with you all very soon in future blog posts because I really do believe that you are interested in knowing all about the things I am sharing above!
Less stress and less road rage
Nothing too ambitious there, right? I have also decided that it’s okay if I can’t post daily so my goal is to post at least once a week. The best part of my new lifestyle is that I don’t feel stressed out anymore. I mean, not ever, and my road rage has almost entirely disappeared. Note – I said ALMOST.
I do admit that I did flick a guy off last week while driving but my blood pressure and heart rate never changed so I can tell that my cortisol levels in my body did not fluctuate. I also have far less inflammation in my body, especially concerning my HS (Hidradenitis Suppurativa skin condition), and far more energy as well as mental clarity.
Just to explain, people in my area drive like total maniacs! They will pull out in front of you and cause you to slam on your brakes, cut you off and just drive as though they don’t have a care in the world for others on the road. Our yearly insurance rate went up when we moved here because of the drivers in this area. I used to get upset and I could feel the adrenaline spike in my body but that doesn’t happen anymore. I just stay calm but I still cuss, with the windows up, of course! I don’t want to get shot and they are crazy enough to shoot in certain parts of town!
Never hungry and cravings are gone
I spent many years believing that I was hypoglycemic because I would literally get shaky, weak and feel like I was going to fall out if I didn’t eat every 3 – 4 hours. I would also get very, very, very cranky and fly into a rage and become the type of person you wouldn’t talk to until I got some food into me first. It’s amazing how our bodies react to food and I was completely baffled to learn that sugar and carbs are more or less poisons to our bodies.
Now that I eat a low carb, high fat diet with moderate protein (no more than 3 – 6 ounces per serving), I don’t experience that ravenous hunger or low blood sugar drop that I did when I still ate carbohydrates. I can go long periods of time without feeling the need to eat and I have yet to experience that feeling of “feed me now or die!” since I started the Ketogenic Diet.
I don’t experience cravings for sweets or junk food anymore, it stopped after the first 3 days. I have since exercised restraint in the face of birthday cupcakes, donut holes and mashed potatoes but I did cave when I made my kids homemade pizza with my own homemade pizza crust. No, this recipe was NOT Ketogenic as I used all purpose flour in a traditional recipe. I only took 2 bites and that was mostly because I was super curious as to how it tasted. The inflammation that followed the next day was enough to kill my curiosity forever!
My armpit was swollen and full of fluid and my cysts weeped out fluid that became crusty as it dried. Gross details, I know. But the whole point of telling you that is to explain that I don’t have a desire to eat carbs when it has this affect on my body. The saying “A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips” is very familiar but for me it’s more like “A moment on the lips, another cyst in the pits.” (OMG…I am seriously laughing hysterically at what I just wrote!!)
Enjoy the weather!!
I am planning to enjoy this awesome cooler weather because where I live, in Central Texas, this weather literally only lasts a minute! We experience maybe 2 – 3 weeks of fall and then winter sets in. I plan to get in more gardening as I realized that container gardening might be more my thing since hardly none of my plants in my front yard survived. I admit it’s probably because they stayed in full sun too long, I think that area of my house gets about 12 – 14 hours of direct sun. I don’t have a green thumb but I am not giving up because I am sure I can grow something somewhere around my house!!
I also thoroughly enjoy walking in this weather! It’s not easy to walk and exert yourself when it’s 100° or more outside! I have seen some people that I think are either seriously dedicated or just outright nuts because they would jog/run through my neighborhood at 3pm in the summer. The hottest time of the day where I live is between 3 – 5 pm in the summer. The sun has had plenty of time to heat things up and the sun will feel as though it’s roasting you alive. Most of us stay indoors during this time of day but some people would run and I am not sure how they do it without experiencing heat stroke!
I hope you set some goals, enjoy the cooler weather and take some time to wind down before the crazy holiday season gets here! Halloween is around the corner and the madness always seem to start right after so take some time to slow down and enjoy yourself!
“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.” – Lao Tzu
Let’s connect on social media or you can always reach out to me via email (email@example.com) if you have questions!
My Facebook Groups
The Korean Couponer –
I am a Certified Professional Coach with over 20 years experience and I LOVE to help people reach their life goals and dreams! This is an open discussion group for those seeking life coaching, encouragement, inspiration and community!
Follow me on my blog at www.thekoreancouponer.com and check out all of the FREE information and resources on my website!!
Follow me on my healthy living journey on my YouTube Channel – The Korean Couponer https://www.youtube.com/user/THEKOREANCOUPONER001/videos
Why the name The Korean Couponer? It’s nothing more than a marketing tactic because no one remembers my name and title – Emily Bristol, CPLC.
It’s easy to remember and find The Korean Couponer in search engines!
Use this link to join my open discussion life coaching group The Korean Couponer now https://www.facebook.com/groups/destinationfinancialfreedom/
Cooking Korean at Home –
A commonplace for those who share the same obsession for Korean food, Kimchi and Korean culture! You don’t have to be Korean to join! All that’s required is a passion for the food!
Share recipes, cooking tips, talk about our visits to Korea and what we experienced. Share stories of how we ended up loving this fabulous cuisine!
Use this link to join my cooking group Cooking Korean at Home now https://www.facebook.com/groups/CookingKoreanatHome/
Subscribe to my newsletter
This post may contain affiliates links to various advertisers. I may/will receive compensation from purchases made through my links or clicks to the ads. The opinions and recommendations to these products are my own. To see my full disclosure policy click here.